more info

Dual Citizens with US Passports

Many citizens of foreign countries also happen to hold a U.S. citizenship without ever residing in the U.S. They may have it because they were born in the U.S. or received it from their parents.

Regardless of how the US citizenship was obtained, they are still required to file an annual tax return with the IRS on their worldwide income. Same as all U.S. citizens who live in America.

Unfortunately many do not realize this - until one day when they discover that they are many years overdue and need to fix it ASAP. For example, this unfortunate occurrence can happen when they wish to apply for college financial aid or sponsor a relative for U.S. immigration.

We have helped hundreds of dual citizens normalize their status with the IRS and are familiar with how to best execute this process.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I have to file a US tax return even if I never lived in the US nor have any income there?

2. I don't have a Social Security number - can you still prepare my tax return?

3. Since I've never filed US taxes before - how many years should I file now?

5. What if I don't have a Social Security number or never even lived / visited the US? Am I still required to file?

Further Reading