more info

Green Card Holders

Every year almost half a million people obtain Green Cards. When you become a Green Card holder, you are under the same obligations to file US tax returns as US citizens (ie see www.taxesforexpats.com/expat-tax-advice/why-file.html). We help hundreds of clients who are Green Card holders and continue to live outside the US.

Only then will the tax-related obligations come to an end. Noncompliance with tax obligations may give rise to high penalties - the same as for US citizens.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Who is a US Person in the eyes of the IRS?

2. I have a green card but have not yet moved to the US or applied for a Social Security number. How do I go about filling in my tax return?

3. I have had a green card that has since expired. I have not, however, officially renounced it. Do I have to file US tax return?

4. I moved from abroad to the U.S. mid-year and had the Green Card from the day that I arrived. Do I report full year foreign income, or only for the months when I was in the US / was in possession of the Green Card?

5. I was a student or had no income so didn't have to file US taxes. I am applying for a Green Card for my non-resident spouse - what do I do?

6. Are Green Card holders working for supranational organizations outside the US liable to pay US income tax?